Monday, December 3, 2007

Monday, December 3rd

I didn't write in October or November! Yikes. I'm back.

7:50am

Bright sun, blue sky (welcomed weather after this past weekend's snow storm, then rain fall).

The Bronx. 36 degrees.

Metro North to Grand Central
After unsuccessfully trying to buy a south-bound, one-way Metro North card because the machine wouldn't accept my cash, I said my good-byes to my lovely boyfriend who accompanied me to the station and boarded the 8:12am train with the understanding that I'd have to buy an $11 ticket from the conductor.

Once the conductor with a thick 70s ballplayer mustache sauntered up to my row, I explained the machine was broken and I'd have to buy my ride from him. He looked down at me and said, "Well, maybe we can work something out. How much've you got?"

He had a clear view into my wallet and the fat $20 that stared back at him.

I said, "I mean...I've got the money, it's just..."

He quickly said, "Ok then."

I sighed and was about to bring out the $20 when the conductor said, "Or, you could buy a $5 off-peak ticket from her." He pointed to the woman sitting next to me who was holding an unused ticket.

I looked at her, then at her ticket. I looked back at the conductor. He looked at me. He looked at the woman. Then, a little old lady sitting in the aisle across from me piped up, "Buy the ticket from her, sweetheart!"

So, I did and thanked her profusley. She said, "No problem, any time."

I thought that was sweet, because I'm sure I'll never see her again. But, if I do, I hope to return the favor.

Grand Central to Atlantic Ave.
I made the maddening transfer from the Metro North, through the main terminal of Grand Central Station (which is looking very pretty these days with it's Holiday light display) to the downtown express 4-5.

Hundreds of fellow commuters crammed themselves alongside me into the packed train. Then the announcer said the train would be "moving at slower speeds" for no good reason. Well, he gave a reason, but it was no good.

45 minutes and 15mph later, I arrived at my destination.

And some people walk to work: they miss all the fun.

No comments: