Saturday, September 29, 2007

Friday, Septmeber 28th

I woke up with a start, looked at the clock and realized it was 9:06am. I overslept. Whoa. My new phone's alarm clock was on "vibrate", so I screwed up waking myself up. I flew out of bed, threw on my clothes, and ran to the train.

73 degrees.

Skies were kind of overcast, but clear enough in some patches that I didn't think it'd rain.

N: The train came as I got to the station!

7: The train came as I got to the station!

G: No trains in the station. Had to wait. Then, a woman made an announcement that "train doors would be opening momentarily." As she said that, I noticed an MTA worker, donned with a neon orange work vest, dangling a set of keys in the air and dramatically putting his free hand to his ear.

"Wud she say?!" he shouted to no one.

"The train doors..." I started as he began jangling the huge ring of keys. I, and several other commuters, quietly looked at him.

"I gotta wait just a minute..." he mocked, still jiggling the brass.

The platform was quiet as other commuters realized what he was doing. If he kept that on another minute, there'd be mutiny. But, I think he sensed it, so he deliberately made his way over to the last door in the front car, jammed one of the keys in and half a set of doors opened. A rush of commuters pushed their way inside the car. I felt stupid like a salmon, but I was part of the pack, "Gotta get on, gotta get on, gotta get on..."

Train left a minute later.

No comments: